Friday, October 26, 2012

Feast Of The Sacrifice-Eid al-Adha

The Islamic world celebrate Eid al-Adha every year at the 10th,11th,12th, of Dhu al-Hijjah month, the last month of the lunar Islamic calendar.

While growing up in Cairo I’ve always thought that Eid is one of the best holidays ever, not because we get new clothes and some feast money from the parents, but because it’s all about giving and sharing, and making the poor happy. I’ve always been proud of the feast.

After I started my travels, I’ve met a lot of people from different religions and nationalities. Unfortunately I’ve met some western people who were racist and hate Muslims just for the sake of hate. Those people have called Muslims savages because of we sacrifice an animal “cow, sheep, camel, goat” to feed the poor.
I had a conversation with an American woman who eats meat, that conversation showed me how hypocrite some people can be, and how some westerns have double standards. I explained to her why we sacrifice an animal.
She “I’ll never kill an animal to eat.”
I “ you aren’t vegetarian, you love meat.”
She “ yes, but I wouldn’t kill an animal.”
I “so buying beef from a supermarket isn’t the same thing?”
She “of course not.”

So killing the animal in butcher shop then send it to the super market is better than killing the animal to feed it to the poor.

One of my favorite memories in Egypt is the first day of the feast, I saw rich people sacrificing an animal and gave it to the poor, all of the poor people who couldn’t afford buying meat, they smiled and were happy, their face were bright, they knew that they will go home and have good dinner. If that is barbaric I don’t know what’s noble is?
I’m so sick of people who hate Muslims just because we are Muslims. I’m a Muslim woman, I’ve traveled to 5 countries with different religions and cultures, I respect all of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment